Firelight Bird Dogs

Firelight Bird Dogs

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Third first

Today I was pleasantly surprised to add a third new-to-me bird species that I have harvested this season. We had enjoyed a fun morning of hunting bobwhite quail coveys and were walking through a grass field toward the truck when our friend, Taylor, said he thought that Tweed was working birds up ahead of us. We were expecting a pheasant but a prairie chicken flushed up instead and banked off far in front. A few steps later and two more flushed and I dropped one that swung to my right. My first prairie chicken! A short while later Tweed went on point to my right but relocated and as she worked a chicken flushed a distance away and flew toward Mike. I yelled to get his attention and he dropped the bird cleanly with one shot. I must admit that I had already fired and missed that bird striving for a limit of these elusive birds but that one was all his.
Two prairie chickens for us today



Back in Montana, my other firsts were sharptails grouse and Huns. Fun stuff!






- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment