Firelight Bird Dogs

Firelight Bird Dogs

Friday, November 30, 2012

Venison is on the grill

Mike added some venison to the freezer on opening day, Wednesday, a nice muley buck. Here is his story of the hunt and photos I snapped when he got back.

Opening morning I was not sure I was going to get out of the truck. I had not sighted my rifle in, although it was on the last time I shot it. I was sitting in the truck drinking coffee and glassing when a nice whitetail buck jumped the fence and was standing 30 yards from the truck. He ran off and I watched as he got together with another, larger, buck about a half mile away. Game on! I felt confident that if I could get within 100 yards I could kill one of them. I sneaked down a dry draw and got within 150 and then they disappeared. I moved to a higher spot and started glassing again. I saw the buck that I killed crossing the draw about 300 yards out on a pond dam. He crossed over and appeared to bed down in a cedar thicket. Just then another nice muley started to cross about the same path as the first buck, except on the other side of the pond dam. My plan was to sneak behind the dam and shoot the second buck as he made his way out of the draw. I got into position but no buck. As I stood there, the first buck that bedded down got up and have me a broadside shot at about 75 yards.













- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment