Firelight Bird Dogs

Firelight Bird Dogs

Monday, September 21, 2026

Things That Go Honk in the Night

By Lynn Dee Galey


It’s mighty dark at 5:00 am. But at 13 weeks old the two setter pups, Echo and Stevie, often wake and whine to go outside to relieve themselves.  It’s a quick trip.  I stand on the porch, they take care of business and we all go back to bed for another hour of sleep.  

But during last nights trip I could see that Echo was focused on something out in the yard. I thought I could see something white just beyond the reach of the porch light but dismissed it. Echo stepped beyond the circle of light and suddenly there was an incredibly loud HONK!! The two puppies screamed and ran in opposite directions. I heard large wings flapping in flight but then a loud BAM! as it flew smack into the side of my metal pole barn. 

This was not a situation I wanted to investigate in the dark so I called the frightened puppies and we went inside. Dare I say that none of us went back to sleep. 

Daylight found me out in the yard dressed in my nightgown and boots but armed with a shovel, a large net, and my firewood push cart which would serve as shield and transport if needed.  As I approached I saw a Canada goose lying against the barn wall with head high, watching me. As I opened the nearby truck gate the goose got up and walked toward me. I began my best Border Collie act, thinking I could herd it out the gate and away from the yard.  I was congratulating myself as I briefly made progress but then the goose became angry, turned the tables and approached me, hissing loudly.  I feared that my net might need to be back up to my cart shield. But the goose began to flap its wings, took a hop and then took off in low flight, barely clearing the yard fence, and it flew off into the distance. 

Never a dull moment here in the Next County. 





No comments:

Post a Comment