Firelight Bird Dogs

Firelight Bird Dogs

Thursday, March 18, 2021

Is She?

 by Lynn Dee Galey  

Is it my imagination or is Annie already thickening around the waist?  She sure seems extra hungry these last several days, even turning to begging (which previously was beneath Her Nibs).  And while we're pondering all of this, were those small stomach upset bouts she's suddenly suffered actually morning sickness?

It has been not quite three weeks since we journeyed east and Annie had her snow bunny rendezvous with handsome Tip.  Folks excited to bring home a new hunting buddy this summer are already asking if I think the breeding took. I reply that it is much too early to know for sure.  

Gestation for dogs is 9 weeks.  Many people have an ultrasound done at about four weeks which can usually confirm if a dog is pregnant. I prefer to stay as natural as possible and not stress my dog, or possibly expose her (and, in these times, me) to something nasty with a vet visit.  

Besides when you live with your gun dogs who are also your companions and breeding animals, you tend to notice even small changes and develop a sense about them.   By four or five weeks there should be clear signs that suggest it is time to put a new coat of paint on the whelping box, not to mention figure out a more comfortable sleeping arrangement this year for me in the puppy room for those anxious, long nights when Annie's time comes.

I’m not going to raise hopes yet, but I do think mid-March is a great time to look online for a new sleep sofa.  You know...just in case.



No comments:

Post a Comment